What happened to KDM?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:05:24 GMT 2019

Hi,

>I can't see KDM in Debian or Ubuntu distros anymore. That's really weird
>and sad, because other "standard" dm-s are incorrect in complex environment.

It's been replaced by sddm, I presume (hope) for other reason just than having something that looks different, "modern" and "fancy". I'll miss it too the day I'm finally forced to move away from my trusty KDE4 desktop.

KDM is part of the KDE4 kde-workspace source bundle, which probably makes it tricky to install from source but it should be possible if you really want to. The runtime doesn't even seem to require any KDE or Qt4 libraries but you'd need those for setting it up.

R.