on linux virtual memory manager (was: Re: disable akonadi)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:17:23 BST 2018

On Monday September 03 2018 11:29:27 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>memory and swap pressure. Until the kernel started to kick out processes
>with SIGKILL:

Ah, the OOM killer. I had a whole exchange about this kind of memory management a couple of years back. I don't remember the details but had a good reason to turn off the feature and just let *alloc calls fail. Until I came across an app or two (possibly KWin) that don't handle allocation failures. And that's the worse thing about this kind of memory management IMHO: people start relying on it and stop accounting for the possibility that allocations might fail.

So you're saying the OOM killer didn't first kill the application that made impossible request? How is that not wrong?

R.