How to Change Color of Plasma Panel and other Widgets

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:03:42 BST 2018

On Wednesday October 24 2018 00:05:39 Peter Devyatkin wrote:

>While the highlight colors seem to be affected by my desktop theme colors,
>the background of the panel and associated widgets remains the same and I
>can't seem to find a way to change it.

Under Plasma4 these were controlled through the "Desktop Theme" under "Workspace Appearance" (Workspace Theme under Plasma5), and they indeed used a different colour palette. A quick peek suggests that there are no more tweaking options, at least not in my version of the desktop theme KCM.

Have you tried different "look and feel" profiles to see if they manage to do what you want?

I have the impression that the Breeze widget theme hardcodes a number of choices so you may want to steer clear from that one if you're looking for ultimate control.

Also, try different window decoration themes. The ones that use QML (Breeze is an example; they're the ones where font rendering looks a bit different) may not react exactly the way you want to.

FWIW, the current plasma5 desktop theme lives in ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/metadata. It seems that a (distributable) desktop theme file is just a zip archive with that directory (renamed to something unique based on your theme name).

R.