location of panel configuration file (lost my settings)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 8 05:51:13 BST 2018

Bug Reporter posted on Mon, 07 May 2018 18:35:20 -0400 as excerpted:

> I'm running KDE on Arch.  Here's some system info:
>
> plasmashell --version: plasmashell 5.12.5
> dolphin --version: dolphin 18.04.0
> Linux 4.16.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 30 12:30:03 UTC 2018
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I was using my computer today and everything was normal. I came back,
> unlocked the screen saver, and when my desktop appeared, my panel was
> gone.
> I had done a lot of customizations to my panel. I'd like to restore
> those from a backup.
>
> Which file contains the panel settings (full path and filename so I can
> find it in my backup)

My path is customized via environmental vars ($XDG_DATA_HOME and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME among them) so I can't guarantee the path, but the file
name should be...

plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Try a path such as ~/.config/ or ~/.local/share/, or just do a file-find
on the above name.  (Here the path is ~/config/, no hidden dot-dir, but
that's partly because I don't like my big-deal configuration dirs to be
hidden dot-dirs and set the various vars appropriately.)

And yes, that's an important file to backup, as it contains pretty much
all the plasma container settings including panels and desktops/
activities, as well as the settings and layout for all plasmoids/widgets
therein.  The file is a deeply-nested text-based ini-file format and can
be hand-edited if necessary, I've had to do it on occasion as I heavily
customize, but it's definitely not designed for that... or for robustness
either.

(A hierarchial directory structure with at least one individual file for
each container and plasmoid to store its settings in, so corrupting one
wouldn't endanger them all, would be both far more robust and far more
human friendly.)