Dolphin loses UI settings when restarted

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:59:04 BST 2018

On Wednesday June 27 2018 22:15:58 Florian Lindner wrote:

>KDE_FULL_SESSION and KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 are not set. If they are set, everything seems to work.

Figures, you need at least the full_session variable.

>florian at horus ~ % dolphin
>"Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)"
>Of course, dbus is started using systemd / logind, other applications depending of dbus are working.

But is DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set in the shell from which you launch dolphin? If not, it won't find the dbus to connect to.

>florian at horus ~ % kmail
>org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Unable to register service as "org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control.lock" Maybe it's already running?
>Error loading text-to-speech plug-in "speechd"
>QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set
>QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set
>QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set
>[... goes on forever and ever... until I Ctrl-C]

I cannot help you with that, sorry. Maybe ask on the kdepim-users ML?

>Well, that is sad. Especially since KDE is not the KDE desktop anymore, but the KDE software collection, which, as far as my perception goes, should be independent of the Plasma desktop.

They are, but if you don't use the plasma-integration plugin and/or don't set the variables mentioned above, KDE applications will simply look like Qt applications, and won't use the font, colour, icon etc. settings defined for the plasma desktop.
I agree with you that this aspect should also be independent of what kind of desktop you run. That's why I answered your question :)

>BTW: Do you have any idea how to set dolphin to select on double click, not single click. I was looking at `kcmshell5 --list` but couldn't find the right module. Or is there even a command to get the KDE system settings GUI?

Try system-settings. The setting you look for exist, but I always forget where. You can also set if directly in ~/.config/kdeglobals: set SingleClick=false in the KDE section. NB: your KDE4 applications probably use a file of the same name that lives in ~/.kde*/share/config/kdeglobals .

R.