Konqueror 5.0.97 issues

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Jun 18 17:57:31 BST 2018

On Monday, June 18, 2018 3:34:24 AM MDT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday June 18 2018 07:25:30 Duncan wrote:
> >FWIW I left konqueror behind back in the kde4 era, when it became very
> >evident that it wasn't getting timely security-fix releases suitable to
> >usage for online banking, etc.
>
> This may or may not have improved, because in the end Konqueror uses
> QtWebEngine or QtWebKit (if you're lucky the up-to-date rebooted version),
> and for both you thus depend on 1) how often the web framework maintainers
> apply security updates and 2) how closely your distribution follows those
> updates.

I use Konqueror knowing fully that it's not state-of-the-art - it's my
commodity browser - good for lots of simple* and not-so-simple things. The
best part was (and perhaps still is) that I can open them at will and they're
all independent processes and one instance crashing or locking up matters
nothing to all the others. I can't say the same for Firefox, or Chrome, or
SeaMonkey - all of which I also use for various things.

Really, I just want a decent web browser that I can open on its own any time I
want, and Konqueror has been that browser for as long as I've used KDE, since
the 3.x days.

* Simple like MythWeb, or my local community chat forum, or the local library,
or SlashDot, or any random Google search, or pretty much anything that's
largely read-only.

All I really need to "fix" is how to open multiple instances like I used to.