Konqueror 5.0.97. openSUSE Leap 15

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jun 3 06:07:20 BST 2018

Olaf Runge posted on Sat, 02 Jun 2018 12:08:43 +0200 as excerpted:

> <!DOCTYPE html>
> remarked a bug in Konqueror 5.0.97. After starting the OS I can start
> Konqueror only one time. A second time Konqueror willn't
> processmonitor it is possible to start Konqueror again.</p><p>Greetings
> Runge<br>Dipl-Kaufmann, IT-Beratung<br>Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Str.

Please, plain-text only would be preferred, but if you choose not to do
that, at least send a plain-text version along with the HTML version.
The above quote (assuming your client doesn't just reconvert it to HTML
and hide the problem) is how I got it here, a bunch of HTML code
obscuring the actual text you appear to have wanted to send, forcing me
to sort it out from the raw HTML (which my client doesn't parse for
security reasons) in ordered to read it.

I'm not a dev and the below isn't a direct fix, but rather a suggestion
for a workaround that will hopefully make the problem easier to deal
with, based on similar workarounds I've had to do in the past here, until
the devs, either kde or suse, come up with a proper fix.

While I no longer use konqueror, or even have it installed[1], when other
kde/plasma applications misbehave in similar ways, I use workarounds such
as wrapper scripts that issue a killall or the like before launching the
actual binary (if there's no existing instance to kill, it's harmless,
and if there is, it kills it before launching the new instance), or
hotkey initiated killall or resets s that I can easily invoke when needed.

I have a bit of a collection of these by now, including for plasmashell,
krunner, kwin... mouse acceleration reset, keyboard repeat reset, hotkey
daemon reload, etc.  Most of these were needed for a few months until a
new version fixed the problem, and I seldom if ever use them these days,
but it's nice to have them around still, should I need them.

So that's what I'd do here.  If konqueror needed a killall konqueror to
get rid of the existing process before it would show a new window, I'd
either put that in a wrapper script, to do before launching konqueror, or
setup a hotkey to do the killall as a reset, so I could launch konqueror
again.

Of course I'm assuming for simplicity that you know shell scripting well
enough to create such a script and place it where you need, and/or setup
the hotkey appropriately, in ordered to get it to work.  If that's not
the case, say so (but again, please in plain text), and I'll try to go
thru it with you a step at a time.

---
[1] Konqueror used to be my primary browser, in the kde3 era and into
early kde4.  However, after some bugs, including potential security
issues, took at least a scheduled release cycle to fix, with a bug due to
not having a GUI method of reverting trust on certificates issued by
newly untrusted certificate authorities (there were a couple such in that
time period) taking IIRC /years/ to fix, all on a kde4 that was /
supposedly/ ready for normal use, with an unmaintained kde3 that had
included the then-still-missing-in-kde4 functionality, and after seeing
several comments from kde devs, it became very clear to me that even most
kde devs considered konqueror little more than a "toy" browser, unfit for
use in a security context, as for online shopping, banking, and other use
where loss of security might have serious consequences.  So I switched to
something that actually had security-bumps when such bugs were found.
Firefox back then, and more recently, chromium.