KDE 5 screen size issue

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 17:21:19 GMT 2018

On Wednesday January 17 2018 08:59:20 Mun wrote:

> In the screen shot, I was setting the resolution to 2560x1600; but I
> normally use 1920x1080.  I used the higher resolution for the screen

I've never used resolutions that high under Linux, but...

> shot simply because it shows the phenomenon I'm seeing more clearly.
> The biggest annoyance is the floating panel.  That is, if I maximize a
> window it will actually go under the panel--which is typically a
> delimiter for the window size.  Furthermore, changing the panel
> setting to "Windows can cover" makes no difference: The panel is still
> always on top.

... I'm not convinced these issues are related directly to a problem setting the resolution at the "xrandr level".
It sounds more as if something in the plasma stuff doesn't have the correct idea of the resolution it should be working at.

> I can try that; but I never had issues with xrandr with KDE4 so I
> don't suspect setting the resolution prior to login will make any
> difference.

Maybe, maybe not. It can't hurt if the resolution is already set properly (or if it's at least in the list of known resolutions) when the KDE environment starts up.

There's also a plasma ML which may be a better place to ask for assistance if this continues to be a problem.

Cheers,
R.