akonadi / kmail / gmail

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:54:16 BST 2018

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 07:54:58 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan wrote:

> Note that various versions of kmail have supported and/or defaulted
> to two different formats, maildir and mbox.  Claws has a plugin
> (mailMBOX) that handles mbox so AFAIK if that's what your kmail is
> using, you should be able to simply use that plugin and not have to
> do any conversion. However, the mbox format puts all mails within a
> single "folder" into the same file, thus eliminating some of the
> scriptability options you have with mh-format, and, because there's
> multiple mails in one file, it's also a bit less robust as damage to
> a single file risks the entire folder's worth of messages.

Claws-mail can import mbox files from the 'File' menu. That seems the
simplest solution unless there is a lot of folders

Personally I use a local Dovecot IMAP server to store my mail, which
separates the store from the client.

With IMAP, the %F passed to a script is the path to a cache file.
(Changes to the file don't propagate back to the IMAP server though.)

I would guess that a plugin would create a temporary file per email.