Which display manager do you use?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 22 03:04:59 BST 2018

Draciron Smith posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 11:32:59 -0500 as excerpted:

> I'm using the default SDDM. I don't see Neon in the process list, SDDM
> shows up, so I don't think that comes up by default, or runs under a
> different name.
>
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:50 PM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming posted on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 08:26:17
>> +0000 as excerpted:
>>
>> > Which display manager do you use?
>>
>> I don't, personally, preferring a CLI login and running startx (with
>> kde/ plasma set as the session) as my normal user.
>>
>> But for those that use one, the default *DM for plasma is SDDM, the
>> "Simple Desktop Display Manager".  FWIW I believe that's what KDE Neon
>> runs as well, tho I'm a gentooer and haven't personally tried neon
>> either.

Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed the "Neon" reference would be known and
understood, and you mistook my reference to it, entirely understandable
if you don't know what neon has come to refer to in the kde context.

Neon is kde's leading/bleeding edge pre-release-kde binary distribution,
just behind live-git and CI-testing so pre-release kde packages, based
upon Ubuntu-LTS[1], with (non-kde) libraries, gcc, cmake, etc, updated
beyond the LTS versions only as necessary to host pre-release kde.  You
can read more about it on the main kde.org site, which last I was there,
featured neon as one frame of its rotating banner, right at the top, in
addition to the neon entry in the page menu.

So what I was saying is that to the best of my knowledge, KDE Neon (the
Ubuntu-LTS-based kde CI/pre-release distro kde puts out themselves) runs
SDDM, thus solidifying it as the kde default, not that neon is some sort
of app running under or over sddm.

BTW, does anyone else have the name-remembering problem with sddm I've
repeatedly had, trying to call it ssdm?  Pretty much every time I find
reason to write about it where it hasn't yet been specifically mentioned,
I first write ssdm (as I did before going thru this procedure with the my
first reply above), then because I know I get it mixed up, I double-check
(usually doing a package-manager search for it), find no ssdm, and have
to then either guess and verify it's sddm, or simply look thru the
available *DMs until I find it.  I imagine I'd not have the problem too
long if I actually used it, since then I expect I'd know the long version
of the name well enough to directly map the sddm, but since I don't, I
forget and have to look it up every time, because I only seem to need to
reference it maybe every six months or so and by then I've lost the
specifics, and that gets irritating!

---
[1] Ubuntu-LTS:  Being a gentooer who builds kde/plasma from git sources
using the ebuilds in the gentoo/kde overlay I track neither neon nor
ubuntu well enough to know which versions are LTS and which of them kde
has chosen to base neon on.