Top of windows too tall and apparently non-adjustable in kde 5.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Apr 28 01:39:17 BST 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:27:49AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> A. F. Cano posted on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:15:00 -0400 as excerpted:
>
> > [ about titlebar height ]

Thank you for a very informative post.

> The size of the titlebar, along with whether it honors the appropriate
> color settings, font sizes, etc, is controlled by the window decoration.
> Some of them don't use the normal settings, unfortunately, and I know for
> sure that the window decoration setting affects titlebar height and color
> because I'm using a window decoration (BlackSquare) from the kde store,
> that dramatically changes both.

Obviously not an easy problem as there is text whose size needs to be
taken into account as it can be configured separately.

The "Window Decorations" page has a "Border Size" drop-down menu, in
which I've selected the smallest option possible: "Tiny".  This affects
the other 3 sides but not the title bar.  Maybe another configuration
drop-down menu for "Title Bar Height" with similar options would do
the trick, but as that's a new feature and development seems to be
going in other directions, I'm not holding my breath.

> FWIW, only the plasma5-default breeze and kde4-default oxygen appear to
> have significant decoration configuration -- many only have button size.

Yes, that's why I'm using breeze.

> Also, AFAIK, there's no general option for the (IIRC global) stippled
> titlebar effect as there was in kde4, that I see on your kde4
> screenshots. =:^(

I was afraid of that.  Thanks for confirming.

> My /guess/ is that with plasma-on-wayland (which I have yet to personally
> try) being the development focus now (tho it's said to still be rather
> rough around the edges and there continue to be many changes in live-git,
> which I run, to bring plasma-wayland to plasma-x11's functionality and
> polish level), and with a "wayland-first" policy, there may be no easy
> way to get wayland to do some of these things (at least not yet, keep in
> mind how young wayland itself is compared to X), and if they hadn't yet
> ported a feature from kde4, it likely won't appear in plasma5, wayland or
> X, until wayland supports it.
>
> Of course the other big issue for may of us, including me, is that
> plasma5's breeze default is "flat" everything -- apparently everyone has
> jumped on google's flat "material design" and etc bandwagon, and while
> the kde4-default oxygen still has /some/ 3-D features, for instance on
> the widget style, it's now considered 90s/last-century, and the "flat-
> earthers" are running away with things, so some of the 3-D features
> simply aren't, and apparently won't, make it to plasma5.

Too bad.

> FWIW I miss the 2-color-fade windecos, too.  Oh, well...

Indeed.  Thanks again for your detailed reply.

Augustine