Kmail message storage folders

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Sun Apr 15 14:20:10 BST 2018

On Sunday, 15 April 2018 2:48:48 PM NZST Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sonntag, 15. April 2018 14:07:24 CEST cr wrote:

> > > It's the standard Maildir format. 'new' has unread messages, 'cur'
has
> > > read messages. They will be moved between folders when you mark
> >
> > messages
> >
> > > as read or unread.
> >
> > Thanks for that.   It's useful to know how it should work.
> >
> > (Inspection shows that I have many more files in some 'new'
subdirectories
> > than Kmail shows as 'unread'.   Evidently akonadi is failing to notice
> > them, for some reason.   I need to investigate that.)
>
> The read/unread status is actually part of the filename.
> I.e. a "read" message's filename contains an "S" (for Seen).
>
> The new/cur is something else if I remember correctly.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Ah, now that appears to be consistent with what I can see.   My 'Ford'
folder in kmail showed just 3 unread messages and just 3 of the files didn't
have 'S' at the end of their filename.   I just marked them as 'read' in Kmail
and all the files now are suffixed 'S'.

Ford/'cur' and 'new' between them contain 119 files and Kmail is showing...
119 messages!   So all present and correct.   That's a relief.   Thanks

Cheers

Chris