Migration of kwallet failed

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Tue Apr 3 06:19:01 BST 2018

Am 02.04.2018 um 10:11 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hello Michael.
>
> Initial mail might have landed in moderation queue or something like that, at
> least it didn´t get through yet, thus CC´ing to you as well.
>
> Michael Schwartzkopff - 02.04.18, 07:44:
>> I did an upgrade of ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and now my kwallet is empty.
>>

>> The version of kwalletmanager on the old system was 4:4.13.2.
>>
>> The version on the new system is 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1.
>>

>> The new kwalletmanager just says: "Error -9".
>>
>> Now I installed an other machine with the old ubuntu 14.04 to open the
>> kwallet there and export it to XML. But opening the kdewallet.kwl there
>> also fails with "Error 42".
> This should work.
>
> Which one did you use? You need to use the old one in ~/.kde/share/apps/
> kwalletd, not the new one in ~/.config/kwalletd.
>
>> Any idea how I can retrieve my passwords? It really would be urgent.
> You can retry the migration:
>
> Set alreadyMigrated to false again:
>
> %> cat .config/kwalletrc
> [Migration]
> alreadyMigrated=true
>
> Restart kwalletd. One way is to log out and log in. There is another way which
> works during a session, but I am not sure how it worked. Maybe you can just
> quit kwalletd5 process and start it again.
>
> Also see:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/
> Troubleshooting#Recover_KWallet_passwords_after_failed_migration
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

thanks for your hint. But setting Migration flag to false did not help.
Since I did set up an old ubuntu version already I have little hope that
an old gentoo would help.

But it seems a last hope if nothing elase works.

Any other ideas to recover my passwords? Since I know my master password
and I have the salt and the kwl files, is there a cli tool just to
decrypt the contents and dump it? Or is there a description of the data
format of the kwl file, so I could write it myself?

Michael.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

--

[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München