Migration of kwallet failed

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:04:44 BST 2018

On Monday April 02 2018 07:44:14 Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:

Hi,

>I did an upgrade of ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and now my kwallet is empty.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've been holding off on that upgrade...

>The version on the new system is 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1.

What is the corresponding KF5 applications version (in the Help/About menu if kwallet-manager puts up one, or else in Konsole)?

>Any idea how I can retrieve my passwords? It really would be urgent.

Good luck with that, I hope you didn't do this upgrade without keeping a bootable backup if indeed you need to be able to continue working with the computer!

Your old wallet should be in a file like ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl (and matching .salt file); I have no idea if it can be read by the current kwalletd.

Something I'd try is to install apt and aptitude, do `apt depends kwallet-manager` to figure out what kwallet-manager depends on, and then reinstall the kwallet packages among that list using `aptitude reinstall`.

R.