Can someone reproduce this kate/kwrite crash?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Sep 29 12:20:59 BST 2017

René J.V. Bertin posted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 22:56:37 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Saturday September 23 2017 19:56:54 Duncan wrote:
>
>> serious actual breakage as well (I've seen some of the comments from
>> kde devs as they stumbled on the breakage and had to figure out whether
>> to work around it or leave whatever functionality broken and just tell
>> folks qt 5.8 was broken and that 5.9 should be fixed).
>
> Pointers? I've noticed a few issues in 5.8, helped fixing some of them,
> and think my own 5.8 install must have a number of those fixes
> backported (something distributions could easily do too). But API
> breakage? The Qt devs are very careful only to introduce new features
> that don't break backwards compatibility, at least in the public APIs.
>
> For me, 5.8 fixed a number of very annoying minor annoyances in 5.7, and
> I've only been holding off from upgrading to 5.9 because it'll be a lot
> of work (it drops official support for my Mac OS X version).

Turns out most of the stuff on gentoo's 5.9 tracker bug was build
breakage of the various qt 5.8 and then 5.9 modules themselves.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/625258

Tho FWIW, everything on the gentoo tracker is listed as fixed now, and
they're targeting 5.9.2 when it's released for the push to the main tree
and unmask to ~arch (gentoo testing) users.

Meanwhile, this thread, and the fact that the live-git plasma framework
and plasma's plasma-workspace quit building due to commits that assume
5.9 (tho the official dep hasn't been bumped yet, and it looks like they
may be reverted), convinced me to try adding the qt overlay and upgrading
to 5.9.1 as well.  I just finished and restarted X/plasma, and everything
seems fine so far.  None of that "guaranteed breakage" yet.  =:^)