Can someone reproduce this kate/kwrite crash?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Sep 23 20:56:54 BST 2017

René J.V. Bertin posted on Fri, 22 Sep 2017 12:04:47 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Friday September 22 2017 12:59:12 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>>So instead I upgraded to Qt 5.9.1, which I was extremely reluctant to
>>do; on Gentoo, the Qt 5.9 packages are marked with:
>>
>>   "Guaranteed to break your system horribly or your money back."
>
> Oh, that. Probably because 5.9 is a Qt LTS release? ;)

Gentoo user here too, not on qt 5.9 yet, but following live-git kde and
the gentoo/kde overlay, so I have some information from that...

The problem is that qt-5.8 had some major API changes... and rather
serious actual breakage as well (I've seen some of the comments from kde
devs as they stumbled on the breakage and had to figure out whether to
work around it or leave whatever functionality broken and just tell folks
qt 5.8 was broken and that 5.9 should be fixed).

5.9 is supposed to have fixed the worst actual breakage from 5.8, but the
API changes remain.  I've not upgraded to it here yet, but the warning is
because various qt-based apps are likely not yet upgraded to work with
the new 5.9 API, and will fail to build or once built, will crash or have
missing functionality, until they adjust to the new API.

Chances are, however, that if you run live-git or current release kde,
and don't have other non-kde qt5 based apps on your system that are
lagging, most of the qt 5.9 upgrade problems are hopefully fixed by now,
and since 5.7 was bugged for you, any problems you do see will be equal
to or less than the ones you'd have by sticking to 5.7.

But if you haven't done a full rebuild of all qt-5 based apps since
upgrading to 5.9, be aware that you may still encounter some breakage
when rebuilding and/or at runtime, thus that gentoo warning, until
they've fixed the known breakages, including those that won't affect most
people as they're in obscure packages.