stealing focus ... back, with a shortcut key?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 09:06:05 BST 2017

Hi,

All of ye people who use a focus-follows-mouse mode probably know the situation where for instance you click on a link in an email, the webbrowser comes to the foreground and takes focus. With KWin, you can mouve the mouse cursor all you want, as long as it remains in the original (email) window you won't get your focus back.

Sometimes that's exactly what your want, preferably without having to touch the mouse. Older WMs (often?)  had a "give focus to window under mouse" command which could be assigned a shortcut. I can't find one in KWin, so the best I can do in the example scenario is to use the global shortcut to push the window that stole my focus to the background. That's usually not what I want but at least my original window gets its focus again.

Any thoughts how to implement an easy and robust "focus under mouse now" shortcut feature, short of hacking it into the code?

Thanks,
René