Setting encoding in Kate

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 15:25:18 BST 2017

On 06/09/17 17:19, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2017-09-06, 17:04:27, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>>
>>> https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/applications/katepart/config-variables.html
>>
>> Alright. So, putting:
>>
>>     kate: encoding cp-1252
>>
>> in .kateconfig works, whereas an in-file modeline doesn't.
>
> In-file only works for saving, as the information is then available when
> needed, but doesn't work for loading as that is too late.

I'm not sure why it's too late. I can just go to Tools->Encoding and set
CP-1252. I obviously do this after the file is already loaded, and it
works just fine.

The modeline should just do the same thing I'm currently forced to do by
hand.

>> However, I can't use a .kateconfig for this, since now *all* files in
>> the directory are opened with cp-1252 as the encoding, not just the ones
>> that actually are.
>
> I would personally recommend recoding to UTF-8 on princple, this is the 21st
> century, platform specific encodings ought to be a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, that's not possible. The software used by the other team
members does not support Unicode. So we use ASCII for all files, except
for those that need non-ASCII stuff in them (umlauts, etc.) Those use
CP-1252.

(I'm the only Linux guy in the team.)