Setting encoding in Kate

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:16:16 BST 2017

On 06/09/17 15:53, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2017-09-04, 22:46:44, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Is there a way to mark a file as using a specific encoding? Like some
>> string inside a C comment that Kate recognizes?
>
> I think Kate does understand comments like this, I vaguely remember seeing
> some for giving hints on intentation.
>
> So I've checked my KDE source and found this
>
> // kate: encoding utf-8
>
> and
>
> /* kate: encoding utf-8 */

It's recognized, but doesn't work. If I set:

   /* kate: encoding cp 1252 */

on the first line of the file, then "Tools->Encoding" actually reflects
that, but the file is not shown correctly. It still shows solid blocks
for CP1252 characters.

Even worse, if I have that comment in the file and try to switch the
encoding manually (from and to CP1252), then Kate corrupts the file by
deleting the unrecognized "block" characters.