Can't move windows anymore

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri May 26 03:07:11 BST 2017

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:22:06 PM MDT Duncan wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Tue, 23 May 2017 23:53:05 -0600 as excerpted:
> > [KDE 4.14.30 on Fedora 25]
> >
> > The darnedest thing: suddenly I can't move a window by grabbing the
> > title bar.
> > Neither full height windows nor dialogs. Others have reported this, but
> > mostly in past releases. It seems I need to kill the kwin process and
> > restart it with "kwin --replace". Failing that, logout and back in. I'd
> > rather not do that.
> >
> > First off, I don't have a "kwin" process, though I do have a "kwin_x11"
> > process. Secondly, is "kwin --replace" the right way to start kwin?
>
> Using the replace option is indeed the correct way, and yes, it's kwin_x11
> now, tho I had /thought/ that change was in plasma5 for kde-frameworks5,
> not kde4, which would make sense given that the devs didn't really focus
> on wayland porting and thus need the _x11 specifier suffix until 5.  I'm
> a gentooer not a fedora guy[1], so wouldn't know, but are you sure you're
> not getting that 4.14.30 off of the legacy kdelibs4 that's still around
> to support apps that haven't been ported to frameworks5 yet, and you're
> actually running the plasma5 by kde desktop?

Thanks. I'll have to file it away for next time. Since I had a large set of
F25 updates I put off because there was a pile of KDE stuff I did the upgrade-
reboot. I like long uptimes and that seems to trigger the bug with the latest-
ish release that F25 provides. I'll find out in a couple months, maybe.