Problem solved ([vlc] Qt4 plugin into Qt5 program)

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 18 10:20:10 BST 2017

On Wed, 17 May 2017 09:33:26 +0200
René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday May 16 2017 22:29:16 A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> it's not a Qt or kde bug, but a problem with your vlc install (I'd suggest
> >> you contact your distro for support about it).
>
> Actually, has anyone filed a bug about this with Videolan? The standard way this bug occurs is when you use the VLC phonon backend, and that uses *lib*VLC, not VLC itself. I see no reason why the VLC library would load any GUI plugins unless told so specifically (i.e. probably only when used by VLC itself).
>
> R.
I tried using the vlc backend here due to a sound problem and didn't notice any problems. Not the latest Qt etc though. Odd problem as I have heard that upstream kde prefer a vlc phonon back end.

Later I changed to vlc3 beta due to problems down to installing an nvidia graphics driver. vlc generated segmentation faults. I've had an nvidia update since so may be ok now.

Maybe installing this version would fix this problem Seems to run for me without any issues. Video, youtube and TV via a usb tv receiver. Only thing I have noticed is that depending on what it's playing it doesn't make use of the graphic card's on board codec decoding. It always does showing TV but video is hit and miss. I've been messing with many codecs and 4k though out of curiosity and hadn't looked at this before. I believe from comments earlier versions >2.2 are the same. So left it all as TBD as I have other problems.

John
-