Problem solved ([vlc] Qt4 plugin into Qt5 program)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed May 17 10:58:13 BST 2017

On Wednesday May 17 2017 11:53:16 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>Prepare for hostility. Last time I tried (many years ago) I was chased
>off very quickly with "VLC is not a KDE application, gtfo."

Oh, trust me, I have intimate experience with the VLC community spirit as defined by a few select members of said community ... and they probably remember me too ;)

This is not a KDE-specific thing though. Phonon is an extension for any Qt application, and if Videolan intend to place their libVLC as a generic multimedia library they should consider certain facts.  GTk/Gnome applications might also want to use libVLC for its multimedia features but not any of the GUI features it might provide. In that case the simple loading of the Qt plugin will probably not cause any issues but it still doesn't make much sense.

So yeah, this shouldn't be presented as a bug, more of a feature/usability request, and it would undoubtedly help to present a nice patch.

The fact their Qt plugin is called libqt4_plugin even when Qt5 is used is a different matter ;)

BTW, do *we* use any GUI features from libVLC? Not in systemsettings5 in any case; the multimedia KCM still works fine when I  hide VLC's Qt plugin.

R.