Goodbye for now, kmail

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue May 9 13:26:59 BST 2017

On Tue, 2017-05-09 at 13:08 +0100, ianseeks wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 09:11:59 BST Gianluca Montecchi wrote:
> > On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 12:38:37PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Anders Lund - 06.05.17, 12:19:

> > > Anders, it *is* due to technical reasons.
> > >
> > > Current KMail only speaks to Akonadi. I go as far as saying:
> > > Without major
> > > rework it is locked to it. So if you want to add IMAP without
> > > Akonadi to
> > > KMail you also need to do the integration with KMail, which I
> > > believe
> > > would be quite invasive change.
> > >
> > > Either you would completely move back to pre-akonadi times of
> > > KMail which
> > > is a no-go for current KMail developers or you??d have to
> > > maintain *two*
> > > completely different IMAP access methods within KMail, including
> > > an
> > > Akonadi and a non- Akonadi access method. I don??t see how this
> > > would be
> > > maintainable by the current team.
> >
> > So we are in a situation where KMail speak only to akonadi, which
> > in
> > turn does not work well at the only thing he need to offer to
> > kmail,
> > manage the messages.
> >
> > At this point, a pre-akonadi kmail or something not tied to akonadi
> > are not a really appalling ideas, if you ask me.
> >
> > Technical reasons aside, the big problem here is that the KDEPIM
> > developers have not learned anything from the KDE4 initial release
> > fiasco, so they repeated it: release basically an alpha version as
> > "ready for the end users", which in my experience is way far from
> > the
> > thruth.
>
> The so called "KDE4 fiasco" was down to the distro's releasing it too
> soon, not
> the KDE team. The KDE said the release was for devs to port their
> software so
> blame the distros.

What !? don't blame distros for devel big fiascos , KDE4 /kdepim
fiasco was made for kde developers in between 4.6.4 and 4.6.5 (more or
less ) was update in a minor version ...

yesterday , I read  "PSA - Kontact is royally screwed up" thread in
fedora devel Mailing list , and find out akonadictl stop  , make my
laptop workload be 90% better .

First version on konqueror based on kf5 , is in Fedora devel repos ,
i.e after konqueror and other base apps can be consider stable , you
may consider plasma 5 stable.  , when you go in 5.9.4 (about 20
versions after first stable ) so don't you dare blame distros .

I still use kde4plasma [2] which still have many bugs , but at least I
know  the bugs.

My main conclusion the decision of replace kde-workspace for plasma-
workspace was a disaster , a very big disaster. if distros could keep
old workspace , plasma 5 was not a so big fiasco .

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedorapro
ject.org/thread/3OKFPAAB6FNTG74GQBVOTCNHP33L7XUZ/

[2] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sergiomb/kde4for23/

--
Sérgio M. B.