Plasma search and one other

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:40:34 GMT 2017

On Wednesday March 22 2017 14:58:01 John wrote:
>I didn't realise that this was running but noticed it with all of the options selected in kdesettings-search so unchecked all. Done I thought except when I looked again after a reboot which meant logging in again and all were active. This seems to be caused by just logging out of the desktop and back in again. Tried it several times and it always happens - deselect all and log back in and they are all active again. I did click apply when I deselected.

If you really don't want indexing because you never intend to use the search feature built upon it (something I could understand) your best bet is to uninstall the components that irk you most. One way would be to check what executable is hogging the CPU and/or disk while indexing, look up the corresponding package and uninstall that. With some luck your distribution allows you to do that without uninstalling all kinds of things you do want to keep.

If you're building from source you can just delete the culprit.

FWIW, KF5 5.26.0 is quite old by now, and you're probably using a Plasma version that's equally old. I think Plasma has evolved more since "that time" than the frameworks have so it's very likely that a lot of your gripes have been addressed in the meantime.

R.