Icon size in Okular and other applications

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 18 06:33:50 GMT 2017

solitone posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 06:46:01 +0100 as excerpted:

> I've got Plasma 5 on a HiDPI monitor (Apple MacBookPro 12,1, retina
> display). With some tuning, I've managed to set the right size for most
> icons on my desktop and many applications.
>
> However, there are some applications where icons are still too small.
> One example is Okular and the icons of the menu entries, as you can see
> in the attached screenshot. There are also other applications with
> similar little issues.
>
> Is there anything I can do to change the size of these icons?
> Apparenlty, the settings on System Settings -> Appearance -> Icons ->
> Advanced do not affect the size of icons like these. What I notice
> though is that the All Icons entry is grayed out, and I cannot choose a
> size, but probably this is unrelated.
>
> I'm on debian testing (stretch).

While I'm running hires, I'm also running very large displays, but
standardized to 96 dpi (actual calculated is 60-some dpi for the 65-inch
4k, 40-some dpi for the 48-inch full-hd), and I don't worry about
scaling. =:^)  So I can't help you directly.

But what I /can/ do, since I'm running live-git kde-frameworks/plasma/kde-
apps (using the live ebuilds from the gentoo/kde overlay) and have been
following the commit-stream reasonably closely, is tell you this:

They're still actively working on hidpi scaling bugs in live-git, and in
fact, I believe I've seen quite some work going into it on the breeze
theme.  While some of that work will be in the absolute latest releases,
you won't be seeing all of it unless you're running either live-git.

FWIW there's the kde neon project offering live-git builds on an ubuntu-
LTS base, if you're not into doing the builds yourself as I am on gentoo.

https://neon.kde.org for more info on that.

What you /could/ try if you're curious enough, is at least a test install
of that, since it should have all the latest hidpi fixes, and they /are/
actively working on hidpi, so as I said you're likely to see some fixes
there that you won't find in any actual release yet, even the newest ones.

The other nice thing about running neon is that since you're running live-
git-current and it's on a known base, any bugs you file on it are likely
to get highest priority attention since it's what they're working on
right now on a duplicatable platform, not what they were working on six
months to a year ago, on some distro with whatever dependency versions
and unknown patches, as tends to be the case even with distros that ship
current releases, since by definition, releases are stuff they worked on
in the last development cycle, not the current one.

And of course since again they're actually focused on hidpi bugs ATM,
that's another reason bugs you file on that should get priority,
especially if you're running neon or otherwise running live-git kde.