Screen power saves and goes off and desktop is lost on power up

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Mar 5 11:59:10 GMT 2017

ianseeks posted on Fri, 03 Mar 2017 15:20:22 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Friday, 3 March 2017 11:02:18 GMT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> This may be of interest:
>>
>> https://github.com/archfan/lightsOn/blob/master/lightsOn.sh
>
> Thanks Rene

The core screensaver enable/disable functionality of that is a call to

xset -dpms

(to disable the screensaver) or

xset dpms

(to enable it on the timer).

That's what I use here for commandline control (and thus hotkey control,
invoking the configured command) too, but xset's a bit more powerful than
just that.

In general, xset can set a bunch of X related stuff, mouse acceleration,
keyboard auto-repeat rate, etc.  See the manpage.

But for dpms in particular, in addition to +/-dpms, there's

xset dpms force standby/suspend/off/on

to force that particular state, and

xset dpms xx yy zz

which sets the xx=standby yy=suspend and zz=off times, respectively.  0
disables that state.

It's the times which I ended up (effectively) setting to zero, but in
xorg.conf.d (in the serverflags section, see the xorg.conf manpage) so
they were set when xorg started.  I had to set the times since just
disabling dpms via xorg.conf.d didn't seem to do any good -- apparently
plasma was reenabling it, but it didn't change the times, which if all
set to 0 effectively disabled what dpms actually /did/, even if dpms was
in theory enabled.

Of course using xset after xorg was running would have worked too, but
since I wanted to set the session defaults and forget about it, setting
it in xorg.conf.d so it got set when xorg started was easier.  If that
hadn't worked, I'd have set it via a startup script calling xset -dpms,
with a symlink to the script dropped in the usual plasma startup dir
($HOME/.config/autostart by default) as configured via the kcontrol
autostart module (aka kde system settings, workspace, startup and
shutdown) and the usual XDG_* environmental vars.