Question about Multitasking on Plasma

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Mar 2 11:18:28 GMT 2017

Martin Steigerwald posted on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 15:21:32 +0100 as excerpted:

> Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2017, 14:06:32 CET schrieb ianseeks:
>> >
>> > I have this behaviour too.
>> >
>> > I addition, this also occurs when I log out. The log out process can
>> > take a
>> > while, when you have a lot of open windows. When I switch to a
>> > virtual console, it stops.
>
>> I've found that it doesn;t matter what is running on the VT7, it will
>> suspend, i only used the login as an example.  Seems strange for a
>> multitasking OS to do this.
>
> I found this as well some time ago already when switching between two
> Plasma sessions, one on VT7 and one on VZ8.
>
> Even when I run something in the Konsole as a long running command it
> gets paused at some time. Yet when I first run screen and then run the
> command in a screen session it continues to work.
>
> I believe this to be part of systemd-logind session/seat management, but
> I didn´t find out yet for sure whether my belief matches reality.
>
> I do not agree with that new behavior and would like to have the old
> behavior back.

I'm running systemd here and haven't seen the issue.  But I don't use a
*DM either, preferring to login at the text console and run startx with a
kde session configured from there.  I also don't have the whole policykit
setup installed that most will be running.  (Running gentoo, it's
optional, and I have the option turned off.)

Stands to reason it could be systemd user session or seat management,
however.  All it'd need to do would be send a SIGSTOP to everything in
that VT, sending SIGCONT when you switch back to it.  But presumably it
uses the policykit or displaymanager infrastructure, and since I don't
have either one installed, I don't see it.

I'd certainly be annoyed as well, if I did.

But if it's systemd, there's almost certainly some sort of configuration
option to toggle the behavior.  I don't know what, but I can't imagine
that sort of behavior not being configurable.