KDE automounter mounts as root

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Jul 8 10:12:25 BST 2017

On Saturday, 2017-07-08, 10:58:06, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:
> Why KDE automounter mounts USB stick as root? I can't write it from my
> logged desktop. What is the sense in automounter then? As root I can
> mount and copy files from console. Filesystem type vfat.

I think the mounting is done by some system service, e.g. udisks2.

KDE or other desktop shells merely provide UI to notify users about newly
available volumes and a trigger to tell the mount service to go on.

But it is strange that the system mount service would mount as root, here on
Debian it mounts as the user, into /media/username and either using the
volume's label or the volume's unique ID as the mount point.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring