i3-kde-desktop

Tilak Waelde tilak.waelde at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 23 15:18:28 GMT 2016

Hey,

for some time now I've been using a KDE session running i3wm as windowmanager
in the background (basically identical to this configuration [0]): I set up i3
to be used as the sessions windowmanager and place some file in the autostart
directory, in order to make krunner and the plasmashell to start with the
'Hidden=true' option.

Now with Plasma 5.75 the graphical configuration option in the systemsettings
is gone. The '--windowmanager' option of the ksmserver is still there, so I
can still make my usual setup work. I adapted my new session configuration by
basically copying the configuration of the 'openbox-kde-session' package, which
sets the 'KDEWM' variable to 'openbox' before starting the KDE session. In my
case I still have to manage the autostart files in my users homedirectory which
feels like a bad solution to my problem. I'd really like to have the i3-kde-
session to be separate from the normal plasma desktop, so I can switch
whenever I like.

Is there any way to tell the ksmserver to start krunner and plasmashell with
the 'Hidden=true' option, possibly by setting 'KSMSERVEROPTIONS' before
executing 'startkde'?

Thanks in advance!

cheers,
Tilak