Willing to pay for kmail help

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 15 09:25:44 GMT 2016

John,
you likely don't have to pay anyone.

Please see:

and

This was a regression in akonadi due to a security fix in MySQL.  The patch
for this is being put through the Debian security channels and should be
out soon?
​  I don't know what the patch will entail to fix broken USER copies (!/.​
​local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf) automatically, and maybe it won't, so see
below for a quick command to fix the files in question to work with the new
version of MySQL.​

before running this command, you may want to make a copy of either of these
files first.
The 'sed' below will try to save a copy with the suffix '.bak', but if you
run the command twice and something goes wrong, you'll overwrite the .bak
again with what could be a mangled edit.

-----
To fix at the system level, use the following 'sed' inline script:
  sed -i.bak -e '/^\[client\]/isecure_file_priv=\n\n'
/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf

To fix for an individual user:  (you'll likely have to do this for all
users, as it appears akonadi creates this file the first time it starts for
a user by copying from /etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf.  It likely never
checks that file again, unless the user's copy of it gets deleted)
  sed -i.bak -e '/^\[client\]/isecure_file_priv=\n\n'
~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
-----

What this does is include the directive "secure_file_priv=" right before
the "[client]" section of the file.
​(MySQL uses a standard "INI" style configuration file of the form
  [SECTION]
  directive=value
So, you have to get the 'secure_file_priv' directive in the right section.​

If you have heavily edited that file, it might not work, and you'd have to
do it manually.  Please see the example:

​It may be most helpful after updating your files to logout and login again
(rather than trying to manually start akonadi up)​

​Good Luck.​

​​--stephen

--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/