controlling location of trash on per-filesystem basis?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri May 13 13:58:18 BST 2016

On Wednesday, 2016-05-11, 15:33:13, D. R. Evans wrote:
> System: debian jessie; KDE 4.14.2.
>
> Typically, I have about 20 filesystems of various kinds mounted on my
> desktop system.
>
> How do I control, per filesystem, whether files sent to trash from that
> filesystem go to a .Trash-<nnnn> directory located on that same filesystem
> or whether they go to the home trash located at ~/.local/share/Trash?

I am not sure this is possible, at least the specification on freedesktop.org
doesn't mention any related configuration capability.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/trash-spec/

It does, however, list which requirements a top level trash directory has to
fulfill to be considered a worth target directory, not sure though if that
helps.

Of course KDE's implementation could allow for certiain configurability within
the confines of the spec, but someone would have to check the code of kio_trash
for that.

> (Right now, the behaviour seems to be always to create and use a trash
> directory on the filesystem of the file being trashed.)

Right, the main reason being, as far as I understand, that "move" on the same
file system is usually instantanious while "move" across file systems is
bascially a lengthy copy operation followed by a delete of the original.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring