"autistic" Konsole

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:20:57 BST 2016

On Tuesday July 12 2016 09:00:38 Duncan wrote:

>So opening a new window via the menu gives you a similarly afflicted
>window.  But that doesn't mention how you're opening a new konsole window
>that you believe is in a new process, that's free of the problem.

True. By launching konsole with the full path from an unafflicted terminal emulator. I use the full path anyway to be sure I get either konsole4 or konsole5, and since I started getting this issue I always have at least one konsole4 and one konsole5 window open.
I checked now: this does give me a new process.

>BTW, do konsole hotkeys still work?  I'd assume so, but...

Like Shift-Ctrl-V for pasting? No, they don't. As I said, only the menu actions work.

>So it's not happening regularly enough to be sure when typing in a text
>VT login.  You just know it happens occasionally in a konsole window.

You mean one of those virtual consoles? No, I never work long enough in those.
What I could do is try to force myself to work in xterms exclusively for a while, but they're a bit annoying with copy/pasting to and from Qt-based applications. A GTk-based terminal might be a more evident choice.

>weeks now as I just bought a house.  But unless you're running /real/ new
>or live-git kde as well, I'm very likely running newer code, which for
>all I know wouldn't be affected.)

My KF5 stuff is fairly new and built from source, idem for Qt.

>the limited space offered by those for long enough to try to trigger it,
>but knowing whether "non-konsole konsoles" exhibit the same issue would
>be another data point.

As you say, the terminal features in Kate etc. are based on Konsole too, so they'd likely be affected ... if I managed to trigger the issue in them. I doubt I'd be able to tell an afflicted Konsole process to open a terminal view in Kate or KDevelop, and I already know that a new Konsole process won't be afflicted. I also know that already running Konsole processes do not get afflicted all at once, so the 1st thing to do would really be figuring out how to trigger the issue.

R.