"autistic" Konsole

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:43:21 BST 2016

On Tuesday July 12 2016 06:16:30 Duncan wrote:

Ctrl-S stops terminal output but doesn't cut keyboard input, but yeah, I did try Ctrl-Q just in case.

>So I must ask if you're sure you're opening a new konsole /process/, or
>just a new thread on the same process.

About as sure as I can be without having actually verified with `ps`. Opening a new window through the menu gives a similarly afflicted window, and all already open tabs lost their keyboard input yesterday. IIRC the symptom was more tab-specific with Konsole4 (ie only a single tab at a time would be affected and I could use "New Tab" or "Clone Tab" to escape from the issue.

I've also tried to toggle the keyboard layout to and from a different language. That particular action tends to help me when KDE apps drop the "dead" aspect from the dead key I use to get accented letters ("Macintosh" keyboard layout, Alt-Gr serves as a deadkey such that AltGr+e,e gives an é). That particular symptom may be KDE PIM trying to switch my keyboard when it detects a language setting in an email, I realise now.

>Does the problem occur when you type into a text-VT login outside of X --
>IOW when you're not using a terminal window, but an actual (virtual)
>terminal?  What about when you try some other x-based terminal emulator

I cannot say as I have yet to figure out how to trigger the issue.

>Does konsole's clear scrollback and reset (view) menu function do
>anything?

Other than clear the screen, nothing.

>have the same issue, the problem is almost certainly that you're
>accidentally engaging some terminal-control escape sequence, and the
>emulation is then expecting a color-set sequence, for example.

It's possible, though it's surprising that I'm only discovering that now. I've been using tcsh since the 90s, and Konsole for years too...

Thanks for brainstorming with me anyway.

R.