Shortcuts stop working, application windows aren't showing anymore and the systray seems to freeze

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:28:37 GMT 2016

On 25/01/16 16:35, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2016-01-25, 14:30:53, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>> And there seems to be several kuiserver and kded processes. It seems
>> they increase by one every time I logout/login:
>
> Could you check if you also have several dbus-daemon or dbus-launch running?

Yep, there's several:

$ ps ax| grep dbus
  1577 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
  4719 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep --colour=auto dbus
21453 ?        S      0:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch
0147cf0965fedda7d4ee00360000000d --binary-syntax --close-stderr
21454 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5
--print-address 7 --session
21469 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax
--exit-with-session
21470 ?        Ss     0:03 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5
--print-address 15 --session
21478 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
--config-file=/etc/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 3

> I.e. maybe logout doesn't kill those and new login doesn't find the old running
> one and thus restarting everything that is D-Bus based session infrastructure.

Logout kills some of them, but not all. The processes owned by "sddm"
are not killed, unless I stop the sddm service.

What I noticed is that on logout, kuiserver5 and kded5 are not killed.
On each login, additional ones are spawned. I can kill kuiserver5
manually, but kded5 is unkillable, unless I force a "killall -9 kded5".

There's other weird issues as well when the desktop gets into the broken
state. Clicking on links for example takes ages to open them in the
browser. For example, if I click a URL in, say, Thunderbird, 5 times,
nothing happens. Then, about 50 seconds later, they all open at once and
5 new tabs appear in the browser. This doesn't happen prior to the
desktop glitching up.