Shortcuts stop working, application windows aren't showing anymore and the systray seems to freeze

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jan 25 13:55:24 GMT 2016

René J.V. Bertin posted on Mon, 25 Jan 2016 14:07:01 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Monday January 25 2016 14:30:53 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>>>     After about 40 seconds, the panel and icons come up.
>
> That seems about normal ... for a netbook like the one I also use =)
>
>>And there seems to be several kuiserver and kded processes. It seems
>>they increase by one every time I logout/login:
>
> Is your X server set to terminate and restart at the end of a session?

It's possible that like me, he doesn't run a *DM X-based login manager,
instead choosing to login at the CLI and run startx (set to start a kde/
plasma session), in which case when he quits plasma5 he quits X as well,
tho that wouldn't necessarily be a full logout, unless he arranged to
have the startx run in the background, disown it so quitting the CLI
login shell doesn't quit it, and then exit the CLI shell, as I do
sometimes (my kde start script is setup to do that if I source it instead
of simply running it).

FWIW I haven't noticed multiple kded5 processes, but I've seen multiple
kuiserver5 processes.  I figured it was normal, but now that you mention
it, probably not, as I have only one running ATM.

Back in kde4, at one point I actually setup a shutdown script that did a
killall kded4, as it wasn't terminating with kde4 and that created
various problems, and I was tired of killing it manually.  AFAIK that no
longer runs in plasma5, and I've not needed to setup anything similar for
kde5/plasma5 yet, but if I notice multiple kuiserver5s again, I'll check
to see if they're still there when I quit plasma5, and setup a shutdown
killall script for both that and kded5, if necessary.