KDE plasma second monitor issues after latest update

CS DBA cs_dba at consistentstate.com
Mon Jan 4 19:34:51 GMT 2016

I applied the latest updates today, second monitor capability is still
broken;

I plug in the HDMI cable, go to system settings --> Display and it only
show the laptop screen.

The Cinnamon desktop continues to work flawlessly per auto-adding the
second monitor as soon as I plug the HDMI cable in, thus seemingly
confirming it's a KDE issue and not a Kernel issue.  I do prefer KDE
Plasma over Cinnamon, but I need the second monitor to work. Anyone have
any thoughts on debugging this?

Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd gen, lspci listing below, thanks in advance

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U
Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller
(rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI
Controller (rev 03)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI
Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (3)
I218-LM (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root
Port #2 (rev e3)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root
Port #3 (rev e3)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root
Port #6 (rev e3)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI
Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller
(rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP
Thermal Management Controller (rev 03)
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
0a:00.0 SATA controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device a801 (rev 01)