KDE Keyboard Shortcuts work everywhere except in KDE apps?

billb at sent.at billb at sent.at
Fri Feb 5 17:11:32 GMT 2016

I already posted this at the opensuse-kde mailing list.  I was pinged that it's probably an 'upstream' question.  So I guess this is the right place?

---------------

I installed OpenSUSE Leap 42.1.

I wanted the newer KDE experience, so following the info at

	https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories

I installed

	Version: Leap 42.1

	    Extra: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/

	    Applications: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/

	    KDE Frameworks 5: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/

I ended up with these installed

rpm -qa kded plasma-framework
 plasma-framework-5.18.0-98.1.x86_64
 kded-5.18.0-71.1.x86_64

I want to have a Keyboard Shortcut assigned to type my email address on a keystroke.

So I opened "System Settings"/"Workspace"/"Shortcuts"/"Custom Shortcuts"/"Configure Input Actions settings".

I right-clicked and created a "New > Global Shortcut > Send keyboard input" shortcut with Name == "TypeMyEmail"

Then I set

	Comment == "Comment"
	Trigger == "Meta+Ctrl+Alt+M"
	Action  == "m:e:Shift+2:e:x:a:m:p:l:e:.:c:o:m"

I open a LibreOffice document and press "Meta+Ctrl+Alt+M".  I immediately get the email address

	me at example.com

typed into the document.

I test it in Firefox when filling out forms and it works too.

But when I try it in any KDE application, like  Kate or Konsole, I don't get the address output.  I get different output depending on the app.

For example

 in Kate    -> "."
 in Konsole -> "^C"
 in ApplicationLauncher -> it closes the window
 in Dolphin -> "."

How do I fix this so the KDE Shortcuts work in KDE apps too?

Bill