Appearance of the control bar

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 3 10:05:27 BST 2016

Christoph Pleger posted on Wed, 03 Aug 2016 09:34:45 +0200 as excerpted:

> in KDE 5, is it possible to change the appearance of the control bar?
> Its default font size is much too small, I cannot read any of the window
> titles before I move the mouse pointer over the respective icon in the
> bar ...

I'm guessing you mean the taskbar in the panel?

While I don't even use a taskbar here, preferring other alternatives such
as the traditional alt-tab walk thru the window list, or the window list
that can be configured to appear with for instance a middle-click on the
desktop, so someone more familiar with the taskbar itself may be able to
give you a better answer, here's a general answer based on the fact that
the panel and taskbar are part of plasma...

In general, if it's a part of plasma that doesn't allow configuring that
aspect of its appearance via its own configuration dialog available from
the context menu that appears with a right-click on the plasmoid
component itself, there's a very good chance that it's configurable via
plasma "desktop theme".  This is available in kde system settings,
appearance, workspace theme, desktop theme.

If you don't like any of the desktop themes available by default, you can
hit the get new theme button in that control panel module and choose from
those available on kde-look.org.  Note that browsing kde-look.org in a
browser gives you more information about each theme, including the chance
to read comments others have left about it.  I usually do this in
combination with using kde/plasma's builtin mechanism, checking the site
for stuff I like, then using the builtin mechanism to download and
install it.

You may also want to try modifying the kde system settings fonts
configuration, under appearance, font, to see if adjusting any of the
sizes there helps.  It used to be that plasma had an almost entirely
separate configuration from the rest of kde and the general kde fonts and
colors settings didn't affect plasma much, but over time that has changed
and gradually, plasma is honoring more of the general settings than it
used to.  So even if the the general fonts setting doesn't affect the
taskbar now, it's possible it will at some point in the future.