Mapping physical screens to KDE containments

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Apr 17 09:46:39 BST 2016

Felix Miata posted on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:49:22 -0400 as excerpted:

> Never having configured either a triple display setup, or multi with
> LVDS, I can only speculate that blocking kscreen control of display
> configuration could work as well as it does here with only two and no
> hotplugging. Put the following in ~/.config/kded5rc:
>
> 	[Module-kscreen]
> 	autoload=false
>
> Configuration entirely via xorg.conf, or alternatively, via xrandr in a
> startup script, is prerequisite to this working as desired.

I haven't tried it yet, but thanks for pointing me in this direction as
it appears promising! =:^)

Just a couple points filling in additional detail, for those who may be
interested.  Nothing critical.

1) The file in question should actually be by freedesktop.org directories
spec $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/kded5rc, with the default location for the dir if
that var isn't set being ~/.config, thus the default path you mentioned.

I have a dislike for hidden files I acquired way back last century on the
MS side of things, after deleting an "empty" directory that wasn't so
empty after all.  Of course there default visibility is controlled by the
hidden attribute, while on Unix/Linux it's a leading dot in the name, so
~/.config is normally hidden, and as I said, I really do NOT like such
hidden files and directories, particularly when they contain such vital
configuration information as the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME dir does.

So that's one variable among several that I set, unsurprisingly, to the
unhidden version of the same location, ~/config (no leading dot so not
hidden by default).

Which means it's ~/config/kded5rc , here.

Tho I do have a symlink ~/.config -> config just in case something ends
up hard-coding the default, as some things invariably do, so the files
end up in the right place anyway.  As such either path ends up in the
same place here, so without either actually file-tracing the appropriate
apps or looking at the code, I can't be sure kde/plasma5 is actually
honoring the correct $XDG_CONFIG_HOME var instead of hard-coding the
default location, but given that the move from the old kde4 $KDEHOME
location (defaulting to ~/.kde) was in ordered to be more compliant with
the freedesktop.org specs, it would highly surprise me if the var wasn't
honored, and I and I suppose most kde/plasma devs would consider
hardcoding the location (as opposed to hard-coding the var-unset default
location) a bug.

Of course most users who have actually set that var themselves will know
all this and won't need told, but various distros may set it, or change
the var-unset default location via patch, and that could be confusing to
users who don't find the default location works for them.  This
additional information could point them in the right direction to check
and see if that var is set (and to what if so) and/or to check their
distro to see if it patches the var-unset default location.

2) Perhaps more interesting for most users, the GUI to change the
settings in this file appears to be kde systemsettings, startup and
shutdown, background services.

The specific setting in question there is in the lower-half startup
services list, kscreen 2.  There's a checkbox there that's likely to be
checked by default.  Unchecking it and hitting apply should toggle both
the setting in the file (between autoload=true and autoload=false) and
the service state (between running and not running).  It does here.

So I've located both the file and the GUI setting in question, and have
the kscreen service configured off, now.  I'll see how that goes, and
will I expect follow up with my results in a few days.

Thanks again for the pointer.  It does appear at least related and thus
promising, tho I had looked at it before and decided it must be a more
general setting.  But now I'm actually checking, and if it works, I'll
owe it to you for prompting me to go back and actually try it. =:^)

I intend to leave this reply marked unread when I get it back on the
list, so as to remember to followup in a few days.  Hopefully I do indeed
get back to do so. =:^)