Mapping physical screens to KDE containments

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 09:47:03 BST 2016

On Monday April 11 2016 12:42:29 Nick Coghlan wrote:

Hi,

>Using a multi-monitor setup under Plasma 5 (Fedora 23), I have a
>problem where the configured panel applet will disappear and not come
>back if an external monitor is reconfigured to clone the laptop
>monitor, and then switched back to being an independent screen.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to reproduce this issue with a different window manager?

IIRC it's the WM that handles restoring window position (or not) on Linux, so any window manager that prevents windows from opening completely off-screen could be used as a work-around retrieval tool in a scenario that goes roughly like

Alt-F2
otherWM --replace
open "lost" window(s)
Alt-F2
kwin --replace
move "unlost" window(s) around a bit to be sure kwin is aware of their new position
close "unlost" window(s)