how to use kdialog --font ?

J. Leslie Turriff jlturriff at mail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:31:48 GMT 2015

	I want to use kdialog to display a table of values, and to make the output
columns line up, the simplest way is to display the data with a monospace
font, e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono.  kdialog --help-qt shows option -fn <name>
or --font <name>, but does not describe the format of the <name> string.

	For testing, I've tried all of the following, but none seem to do anything:

	kdialog --font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' --msgbox 'Does this use the right font?'
	kdialog --font 'dejavu sans mono' --msgbox 'Does this use the right font?'
	kdialog --font '-*-dejavu sans mono-medium-r' --msgbox 'Does this use the
right font?'
(This last after using xfontsel to see the X definition, just in case.)

	I've searched the web for documentation and hints, and come up empty.  I've
looked at the QT class documentation, but those are c++ calls, so don't tell
anything about kdialog.

	Does anyone out there know how the --font string should be formatted?

Leslie
--
		A Caution to Everybody

	Consider the Auk;
	Becoming extinct because he forgot how to fly, and could only walk.
	Consider man, who may well become extinct
	Because he forgot how to walk and learned how to fly before he thinked.

-- Ogden Nash