How to block only certain global hotkeys?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 12 15:22:47 BST 2015

Aleksey Midenkov posted on Tue, 12 May 2015 13:33:50 +0300 as excerpted:

> I know that there is an option in Special Application Options: Ignore
> global shortcuts. But it blocks all of them. I want several hotkeys
> retain their global meaning and several of them passed to certain
> applications. Is it possible maybe via config files?

I don't believe there's a per-app option to ignore specific global
hotkeys, without ignoring others, no.

What you /can/ do, however, is reassign different global hotkeys, so they
don't interfere with individual app hotkeys.  In general, the winkey
(super or hyper, try it with one reassignment and see) modified actions
are not taken by apps, so remain free for use as global hotkeys.

That, and many keyboards now contain extra "custom" keys, generally
called inet or media keys that can be (re)assigned to global
functionality, generally without conflict with local hotkeys as they're
not common enough.  Even normally dedicated media keys such as volup/
voldown/mute/play/pause and system keys such as power, can often be multi-
configured with various modifier (shift/ctrl/alt/win) keys, so normal vol-
down for instance, still turns the volume down, while ctrl-voldown might
well be reassignable to some other global hotkey functionality.