Someone tested the caching of config.

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 15:47:35 GMT 2015

Hi Stef,

On Thursday, 2015-01-29, 16:36:47, Stef Bon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious whether caching of the configuration of the kde desktop will
> improve the performance, especially
> when a session starts.

I am pretty sure that is why it was implemented in the first place.
The KDE system config cache contains an easily accessible (mmap'able) binary
form of the values contained in text based system config files.

There are additional other caches, such as a cache for icon pixmaps.

Thes caches are, if I am not mistaken, not only used by the desktop but by all
applications using the respective access libraries.

> GNOME has dconf/gconf. I do not know much about these, but accoriding to
> me this is a sollution to cache the configuration parameters of various
> applications.

No idea, but sounds plausible that they have implemented some form of caching
as well.

If you need more indepht info on KDE's caching I would suggest to direct such
questions at the kde-core-devel mailinglist, where most of the KDE
infrastructure developers are subscribed.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring