Control bar and multiple displays

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 09:48:18 GMT 2015

Sebastian Beßler posted on Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:34:00 +0100 as excerpted:

> I have 3 display setup on my laptop with a control bar on every display.
> This works great as long as all displays are connected but when I use
> only the laptop without the 2 other displays then all control bars are
> moved to the remaining display.
>
> Is there anything that can be done about it?

Unfortunately, no direct help, but a few comments...

FWIW, I believe those "control bars" you refer to are "panels" in common
desktop terminology.  That could be of help googling...

It's generally helpful to know what versions of kde and plasma (the
desktop/panel app) you are running, and how long (since version X) the
problem has been occurring.  The distro you run can also be helpful.

FWIW, here I'm running gentoo with kde 4.14.3 with plasma 4.11.14, also
with three monitors, but it's a home system with the monitors generally
remaining attached and in the same configuration, so I don't have the
same issue you do.

That said, since before kde4 I've always had issues with kde and multiple
monitors.  If I try to use kde's display management, the order of the
monitors gets scrambled and I have a terrible time getting things back in
order.  What's even worse, kwin (the kde window manager) and plasma (the
desktop) seem to have entirely different ideas about what order the
monitors appear, so it's not as simple as simply changing what cables
plug into which monitors, as it could be if kwin and plasma agreed on
things.

Fortunately, I've been able to work around that problem here by
configuring xorg to the desired layout.  KDE (both kwin and plasma) will
use that when xorg/kde starts, and I only have problems if I let kde's
own managers try to handle things.  Recently I upgraded one of the
monitors, and with the new one, if I leave the system idle for long
enough to blank and turn off the monitors, when I turn them back on, the
new one apparently triggers a new-monitor-plugged event.  I had switched
from the original kde4 handling via krandr to kscreen, and I had to
switch back, as kscreen would immediately scramble monitor order, while
at least krandr asks and I can tell it no, I DON'T want it handling and
therefore messing up my displays!

So while I don't have the same issue with kde/plasma and multiple
monitors, I obviously have other issues with them.

But AFAIK, having all the panels relocate to the active monitor when
others aren't available is the way things are supposed to work.

I *REALLY* wish panels had been part of plasma's activities, as that
would solve your problem and another one of mine (needing the ability to
switch panels on and off).  Unfortunately, in plasma for kde4, only the
desktops themselves are part of activities, with panels remaining the
same regardless of activity chosen, thus making it impossible to simply
configure activities with the panels one wishes and to switch activities
to switch active panels.

Oh, well, kde4 isn't getting much more than minimal support these days,
with the focus now on kde5/frameworks and plasma-next. (I'm not sure what
the plasma versions are corresponding to kde5/frameworks, they were
calling it plasma2 for awhile...)  Hopefully the panels are part of kde5/
frameworks/plasma's activities, and when we upgrade, we can both simply
configure separate activities with the panels we want and switch
activities if we need to, to get the panels we want.

As to kde5, I've actually tried kde5/frameworks and the corresponding
plasma here (twice so far), but either its kwin doesn't seem to like my
Radeon turks (hd6670 or some such, I forgot and xorg and the kernel
simply call it turks) graphics card with the freedomware kernel/mesa/xorg
graphics stack, or there's some other reason it kept crashing on me.
Whatever it was, that pretty much put an end to my experiments, and since
it's about impossible to have the still working kde4 and the broken kde5
installed on the same machine at the same time, it's not like I could
keep kde5 around and keep experimenting -- I had to remove it and put kde4
back to get a working system again.

It's about time to try it again one of these days, but I've been working
more hours recently and haven't had the time.  Maybe now that the
holidays are over things will slow down a bit and I'll get the time to
try it.