KDE plasma second monitor issues after latest update

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 16 06:14:54 GMT 2015

CS DBA posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:29:27 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 12/15/2015 11:11 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> CS DBA posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015 08:57:24 -0700 as excerpted:
>>
>>> I ran the latest set of updates a few days ago, after the update when
>>> I plugged my second monitor in it was not recognized in the "Display
>>> and Monitor" section of the system settings. If I boot with the
>>> monitor connected it works but only if I boot with it connected.  I
>>> have the cinnamon desktop installed as well and it works as expected,
>>> can boot just the laptop, connect / disconnect monitors, control them
>>> from system settings, etc, so it seems it's not a kernel or display
>>> driver issue...
>> No immediate thoughts on fixing, but if it worked and now it doesn't,
>> don't you think knowing the version where it worked and where it
>> doesn't might help people solve it?  KDE/kdeframeworks version, plasma
>> version (if frameworks-5 based not kde4 based), qt version, distro and
>> release version, what packages were updated, if you know, etc.
>>
>> It's not like you're posting to a distro list, after all, where most of
>> this stuff can be assumed based on what the distro just updated, and
>> where most people would be running the same versions...
>>
> Oh right, my bad...
>
> Fedora 23, KDE Plasma - based on an rpm -qa it looks like version 5.16:
> $ rpm -qa | grep kf5
> kf5-kfilemetadata-5.16.0-1.fc23.x86_64

[etc]

OK, I'm still on kde4 here, on gentoo, so it's unlikely I'd be able to
help much.

(Tho I have the non-conflicting parts of a minimal kf5/plasma5 install as
well, for easy testing.  Just a few conflicting packages to switch out
when I have testing time.  I tried some time ago, and plasma5 had some
sort of problem with my graphics, might have been the fact that I run
triple monitor myself.  So I waited and tried again.  Less problem, but
still a problem.  Last time I tried, it almost worked, but I had a
workaround setup, a read-only activities-manager-config, for a problem
with kde4 that I forgot about, as that's one of the few kde4 things that
already moved to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME from the previous $KDEHOME location,
and I had only moved the old $KDEHOME location for testing, so the
workaround for kde4 broke plasma5.  But by the time I got that far it was
already late and time to go back to an actually working config, so didn't
actually have a chance to remove the workaround and try again.

However, I'm a heavy customizer and after getting so close to working
plasma5 last time, I realized that even if it did work, it'd take quite a
bit more time to get it configured to something actually reasonably
usable for me... and that's time I don't really have ATM, so I've not yet
tried again.  But work typically slows down after Christmas, so I hope to
have time to actually test it again then, hopefully get it working
properly, and then start reconfiguring stuff.  I'm figuring at least a
solid day, probably two and possibly three, before I have things
generally configured to my liking.  kde3 to kde4 took me over 100 hours
of work to switch, but that was because so much kde4 stuff was still
horribly broken when kde quit supporting the kde3 stuff that actually
worked, and I had to find alternatives, sometimes hacking up my own
solutions, and configure them from scratch.  So the kde4 to kf5/plasma5
upgrade should be much easier, both because I'm off of kde for so many
things now due to breakage at the switch and kmail's breakage when it
jumped the akonadi shark in the middle of kde4, so there's less to break
and less to configure, and because by all reports, they're being less
insane with dropping support for the old versions until the new ones
actually work, this time around.  But as I said, I'm still figuring two
days at least, which means I need a good solid two-day minimum block of
time free to do the upgrade and reconfigure...  So...)

So... I'm obviously having my own kf5/plasma5 problems and can't yet
really help others with there's much, yet. =:^(