kwin 5: video stutter

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 06:22:30 BST 2015

Ever since I upgraded to KDE 5, I get stutter when playing back 60FPS
videos. There's frame skipping approximately every second.

This does not appear to be a video player issue. For example, running
glxgears with:

   __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 glxgears

will result in frame drops. (This is how you enable vsync with nvidia
drivers.)

Disabling desktop effects helps, but then the desktop is tearing.
Disabling desktop effects only for fullscreen windows also helps, but
then everything is flashing as you go from fullscreen to windowed, or
when you bring up the GUI of the media player, or the video can be
tearing too.

I did not have this problem with kwin 4. Is there something I can do
about it?