How do I use kscreen?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 5 08:34:39 GMT 2014

Kevin Krammer posted on Wed, 05 Nov 2014 08:55:36 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Wednesday, 2014-11-05, 07:51:20, Duncan wrote:
>> Kevin Krammer posted on Wed, 05 Nov 2014 06:38:03 +0100 as excerpted:

>> > It looks like this for me (currently only one display):
>> > http://postimg.org/image/tn1d8hkxr/
>> >
>> > Your setup seems to be missing something.
>>
>> The only thing I have in kcmshell4 display here is a kgamma tab, since
>> I have it installed.  The krandr thing would be there if I had the
>> option to turn it on (USE=-kscreen) set for the kde-base/systemsettings
>> ebuild, but I don't, so it's not.
>
> Then this is quite likely the thing Nikos is missing, no?

No.  I'm not sure if the "something" you're referring to is kgamma or
krandr, but either way, that's not it.  kgamma is a totally separate app,
to help adjust display brightness/gamma/etc settings, and krandr is the
old pre-kscreen version.

What I was saying is that I'm missing whatever it is too, since the only
tab I have in the display kcm (which is an aggregator of multiple
otherwise individual display-related kcms) is the totally unrelated
kgamma.  I have kscreen and libkscreen installed, and the kcm_kscreen kcm
is present and usable, but it doesn't integrate into the display kcm.

So I don't have what's in your screenshot either.  Whatever he's missing
I'm missing too, which being we're both on gentoo isn't too surprising,
but I haven't a clue what it might be.  Mine isn't totally empty as I do
have kgamma installed and it puts a tab there, but that's entirely
unrelated and the kgamma tab is totally different.

So I'd be equally interested in what's missing.  I can guess it's a
*.desktop file, and /possibly/ a *.so library, but I don't know where to
go to get 'em either.