How do I use kscreen?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:02:43 GMT 2014

I upgraded my KDE installation to 4.11.13/4.14.2. I am now no longer
able to configure my monitor through KDE System Settings. The system
booted into 640x480 and the "Display Configuration" section in System
Settings is empty, apart from a "primary display" drop-down list and a
"unify outputs" button. All the options that were previously there (like
resolution and refresh rate) are gone.

Fortunately, I have the NVidia drivers installed that come with the
"NVidia X Server Configuration" tool, which allowed me to set my desktop
back to 1920x1080 at 60Hz. It was previously set to "Auto", which one would
guess would use my monitor's native resolution (that was the previous
behavior, at least). But now, "auto" put my monitor into 640x480 mode.

It seems that in this version of KDE, a new tool is used for monitor
configuration which is called "kscreen". But it doesn't seem to be
working for me? Can anyone shed some light as to why it doesn't do
anything? Both kscreen as well as libkscreen are installed.