How to toggle between KMix output devices

José Pablo Méndez Soto auxcri at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 20:50:15 BST 2014

Hello, I'm trying to develop a 1 click type of solution to toggle between
output devices, like a button in my panel that toggles from the current
output audio device to the next, or a keyboard shortcut. Currently I have 3
devices:

- 1 cabled usb headset
- 1 wireless usb headset
- 1 built in sourround sound

What I do now days is to click on the KMix icon > rigth click the audio
application (for example Firefox or Amarok) and then Move > select the
audio device.

I think I can maybe achieve this through qdbus? Something similar to
setting the volume like with this line:

dbus org.kde.kmix /Mixers/0/Master_0
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set org.kde.KMix.Control volume 70

Where can I find what qdbus can do?
and/or
Which options would let me toggle output devices? It would be acceptable if
I toggle the audio device for the entire system and not just for the active
program for which I have focus, say for example my browser window with
youtube.

The script logic is not important, I can figure that out, I just need help
with how to indicate this to the system.

Thanks,

*José Pablo Méndez *