Change icon for file type

Aleksey Midenkov midenok at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:00:51 BST 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Aleksey Midenkov posted on Tue, 10 Jun 2014 17:54:48 +0400 as excerpted:
>
> > Is it possible to apply changes without relogin?
> >
> > In file context menu Properties -> File Type Options I click on icon.
> > Icon selection dialog opens. I select icon -- in Edit File type it
> > changes to new icon. Then I click OK and in Properties there is still
> > old icon! What I found useful is to delete
> > /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/icon-cache.kcache and then relogin. Is it
> > possible to see changes without these actions?

> As you're dealing with icons you /may/ need to delete the icon cache AND
> run kbuildsycoca4, but that should do it without a restart.  If dolphin
> (or plasma or konqueror or whatever, you didn't mention what app) doesn't
> update at that point, consider filing a bug, as it should.

Should I mention what app? I guess it's the same library call because
dialog looks the same everywhere. My observations: kbuildsycoca4
doesn't rebuild icon-cache.kcache. Sometimes relogin helps, sometimes
doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't even change icon preview after Select
Icon dialog. Anyway, it is expected that it should work without any
relogins and cache rebuilds, hence it is a bug. Bug was already
submitted (335569).